" What is Blacklite "
- Ultraviolet :
- (1) That invisible region of the spectrum pertaining to a electromagnetic radiation
having wavelengths (from under 200 to 400 nanometers) that are shorter than violet light.
(2) of, pertaining to, or producing radiation of such wavelengths.
UV A : 340 - 380nm
Used for Blacklite fx.
UV A : 320 - 380nm Used for UV Curing, Non Destructive Testing & Inspection.
UV B : 280 - 320nm Used for Suntanning.
UV C : 200 - 280nm Used in Dermatology.
For best results we want our peak transmission of UV. A to be around 365nm this is the
Magic frequency that works best when exciting and illuminating fluorescent substrates and
Under most conditions, UV. A is safe and harmless to humans, and is not hazardous to
the environment, However persons taking Photo Sensitive Drugs Should keep from exposing
themselves to any high output UV. Radiation of any type this includes Sun Light.
- The property of a substance, such as fluorite, of producing, light while it is being
acted upon by ultraviolet rays, X-rays, or other forms of radiant energy. i.e.: When
Luminescent materials (fluorescence and Phosphorescence) are exposed to Ultraviolet light
they are excited to a retroactive state and emit visible light and color.
- Fluorescent Products & Materials:
- Fluorescent pigments and dyes are found and extracted from many types of vegetable and
- Trademark for a coloring agent added to paint, etc. to produce any of a variety of
brilliant fluorescent colors.
- Fluorescein :
- A Yellowish - Red, crystalline compound made synthetically from resorcinol and phthalic
anhydride: a dilute alkaline solution appears Green by reflected light and Red by
transmitted light : used as a textile dye, a liquid coloring, and ,in medicine,an
intravenous diagnostic aid.
- Calcium Fluoride, a transparent, crystalline mineral having many colors and perfect
cleavage: it is the principle source of fluorine and is also used as a flux, in glass
- Protein from tiny sea plants and animals when mixed with oxygen can produce their own
light with hardly any heat. When exposed to ultraviolet light they emit a bright Green.
- Soap Powder & Liquid Laundry Detergent:
- Used as a brightener when we wash our clothes looks bright White or Blue when exposed to
- Grayish mineral, complex compound of sodium,aluminum, silicon, oxygen and chlorine.
Exposed to ultraviolet light emits Yellow or Orange light.
- Emits a bright Green.
- Materials Used Can Be Divided Into Two Categories:
(1) Liquid Solutions such as tracers used for quality control inspection,can be added
to water for breath taking effects in water show applications. Inks and Dyes,can be used
as Pigments for water base Paints,Lacquers and other mediums in the art and textile
(2) Plastic Solids are available in flexible PVC which come in Tube
form,Strips,Fabrics, Ribbon,Paper and latex. Rigid Solids include Acrylics and
Polycarbonate Sheets and Rods, you can also find materials available in Polyethylene and
Polystyrene plastics. Most all Solids should last from 3 - 7 years depending on the
substrates exposure to sun light.
- Ultraviolet Sources:
- Blacklight Fluorescent Lamp: (Black Light Blue = BLB)
- Most common source of blacklight is the BLB fluorescent tube lamp Mercury vapor in the
tube is acted upon by a stream of electrons from the cathode that gives off the selected
longwave UV radiation . The envelope glass used is a dark Cobalt Blue. These lamps are
commonly found in wattage's ranging from 4 to 40 watt and in lengths from 6" to
- High Output Blacklight The Use of Short Arc Lamps:
- Most common are the Mercury Vapor and Metal Halide types. These sources produce Visible
light along with Ultraviolet light.,Therefore we have to use a Narrow Bandpass Filter to
block the Visible Light (400 - 700nm),UV-C (200-280nm) and most of the UV-B (280 - 320nm).
- Filters Can Be Found Most Commonly In Two Forms:
- (1) Deep Dyed,Pot Poured,Rolled and Blown Glass: Work Well with Mercury and Halide lamps
400 W and Lower.
(2) Vacuum Thin Film Dichroic Coating: Very durable, especially in
high heat applications.Operating frequency can be designed to work around the Lamps
operating specification. Can be used in fixtures Ranging any where from 70 watt Halide to
18K HMI and Xenon.
- Arc Lamp:
- An arc between electrodes that serve as a radiation source. Gas tubes that contain
mercury vapor and mixtures of helium, neon, and argon.Such sources can be several feet in
length. Short tubes are most common in conventional lighting applications.
- Mercury Vapor :
- A lamp that has Mercury in a tube or bulb that has first been evacuated. The electricity
travels through the vapor between the electrodes, and produces a blue-green light that is
rich in ultraviolet and near-infrared, as well as visible radiation by using a high
frequency current in a coil surrounding a tube without electrodes, the Mercury vapor can
be excited to radiation.
- Metal Halide :
- Enclosed arc lamp containing compound of Halogen mixed with certain elements such as
Fluorine,Chlorine,Iodine, Bromine,or Astatine as a constituent.
- Halide Types :
- HID = High Intensity Discharge, HMI, CID,MSR,MARC 300,.
- A rare gas used in Very high pressure arc lamps to produce a high-intensity source of
light closely resembling the color quality of daylight.
WHEN EXPERIMENTING WITH SHORT ARC SOURCES IN RAW FORM WITHOUT FILTERING,
PROTECTIVE EYEWARE SHOULD BE WORN TO BLOCK OUT DAMAGING ULTRAVIOLET WAVES.
WHEN EXPERIMENTING WITH XENON LAMPS,USE LAMP HOUSING & PROTECTIVE CLOTHING.
" XENON " LAMPS ARE UNDER VERY HIGH PRESSURE, WHEN HOT OR WARM, CARE SHOULD BE
TAKEN WHEN HANDLING.
HD DICHROIC UV PASS Blacklite
FILTER For Blacklite Effects
The HD UV PASS Blacklite FILTER transmits harmless long wavelength UV radiation
from 340 nm to 380 nm while short wave radiation below 315 nm is blocked and does not pass
through the filter.
Our Blacklite FILTER when used in conjunction with
a UV radiation producing source such as a Xenon or Metal Halide lighting fixture, can
create breath taking effects by illuminating fluorescent materials such as paints,
fabrics, and tubing as treatments to scenic properties.
Our Blacklite FILTERS are guaranteed to have a
peak transmission above 80% at 365 nm with less than 1.0% transmission in the visible
spectrum (400 nm to 700 nm) and holds a warranty of 1 year from peeling, crazing, or
blistering in most applications.
The HD UV PASS Blacklite FILTER is superior to
other products using filter glass in both its peak transmission at 365 nm and its ability
to perform in a high heat environment.
Thickness : 1.75mm - 4mm Max. dimensions : 24.0"
Join Our Workshops
"THE BLACK MAGIC OF ULTRAVIOLET"
Learn the secrets of using ultraviolet to create special lighting and scenic effects.
From safety issues to ambient light levels, tackle the
techniques for using black light and fluorescent expendables in applications for theatres,
theme parks, clubs, film and television. See the latest in UV technology from various
companies. Plus a hands-on opportunity to create your own environment and light it with
black light. Play with kitchen science (using household products for special effects and
make-up), raw pigments,fluorescent substrates. And work with applications and mixing
techniques,creating depth by using specific colors. Then light your scenic creation with
ultraviolet light for a little black magic.
Moderator: Jeffrey Hillinger, @utomated Entertainment.
For More Information on Blacklite You can order our Booklet
"The Black Magic of Ultraviolet"
Send US $ 10.00 to
add US $3.00 for overseas mailing.
Go to our contact page for our Mailing address and contact numbers
& MULTI MEDIA KITS
To Request our Catalogue Contact:
@utomated Entertainment HD Dichroic / ZC&R
Our email address is:
Copyright. 1989/1996/1998/1999/2000/2001/2002 @utomated Press All rights